Back by popular demand... it's time for New Medium May!
Last year I challenge the #BetterLetteringCourse community to try lettering with an unfamiliar medium, and due to the awesome feedback I've decided to bring back the theme this year.
The idea is to go beyond the medium that you typically work in to try something new and really expand your skills.
As always, you don't have to participate in the theme to be eligible for prizes, so if you're still a beginner learning the ropes, don't feel pressure to abandon your favorite tools. BUT if you're like me and you've been at this for a while, use this month as a reason to pick up a new tool and give it a go!
Last year as my new medium I picked watercolors and it led me to acrylics which ultimately became this year's Abstract Affirmations Daily project. That just goes to show you: You never know where this challenge could lead you!
This year I've been inspired by Karin over at ipadlettering.com to invest in an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil to bring my lettering into the digital world. Here's just a short example of what I'm excited to explore with it!:
Anyway, I hope you'll consider joining me this month and invite your friends to do the same!
May Prize Pack Giveaway Details
WHAT'S UP FOR GRABS?
This month we're giving away THREE prize packs worth over $60 each! Check out what's up for grabs below:
1. Strathmore Softcover Watercolor Journal - $13 (aff link)
2. Artist's Loft Fundamentals Watercolor Pan Set - $13 (aff link)
3. Pentel Arts Aquash Water Brush (Assorted Tips) - $14 (aff link)
4. MV Art Shop Abstract Affirmations Hand-Lettered Print Of Your Choice - $25
Use these new art goodies to try your hand at watercolor as a medium and get messy exploring new art styles!
HERE'S HOW THE CHALLENGE WORKS:
Every day of May, post a photo of your lettering practice on Instagram using the prompt list below as your daily subject. Interpret each prompt in any way you like and for fun, try incorporating the style prompt to try out new lettering styles.
Every day you complete your practice counts as ONE ENTRY to win the prize packs up for grabs that you see above. (Max one entry per day for all 31 days of May.)
The more days you practice, the more chances you have to win!
Three winners will be randomly selected and announced on Instagram in early June.
THREE SIMPLE RULES FOR ELIGIBILITY:
1. You can letter any word, phrase, lyric, sentence, etc., but it must be at least one word and the word(s) or phrases must be different every day of the challenge. The May prompt list below is encouraged, but it's not required. You can choose whatever subject you like!
2. You MUST include #BetterLetteringCourse in your caption. (Also feel free to include #NewMediumMay, but it's not required.)
Please don't post photos of work you've already completed -- the point is to show up that day and create for the sake of practice! I do my best to check out everyone's work, but feel free to tag me in your caption so I can see your daily pieces - I'm @ckelso!
3. You must be a student of the #BetterLetteringCourse to enter. If you haven't joined us yet, it's only $20 for lifetime access to all 15 videos, teaching you the basics of hand-lettering! I update the course every month with a new resource!
Here's your handy prompt list. I recommend pinning to your Pinterest account, or saving it to your phone/desktop for quick access!
That's it! Looking forward to seeing all the new styles you come up with!